Saturday, April 10, 2010

Peeps Challenge #5

Sorry for the lack of posts this week. Unfortunately my week did not start out so well. My mom got very sick early Tuesday morning and had to be taken to the hospital. I did not find this out until my sister called to tell me at 8am. It turns out my mom had a small bowel obstruction caused by adhesion's from prior abdominal surgeries. They wanted to keep her for observation but she decided to go home. Once my sister got her there she got sick again and had to go back. This time she ended up staying she is home now and thankfully she is doing much better. Being admitted for a day helped. Hopefully she will continue to do well and it won't happen again because surgery is not a good option to fix it. She also found out yesterday that she now has scaring in her lungs from her RA too. There is not much they can do for that either. It really sucks when your body starts to give out on you especially because she is the kind of person that is always on the go. So far it is not keeping her down though which is good. I just hope that continues.
This week was my turn to host the Papertrey Peeps Challenge. I had a few things in mind but decided to go with a template challenge. I loved the Shaker Style Boxes from Papertrey ink since I saw them but was not going to buy the template until it came out in SVG format. I got tired of waiting so I gave in and bought it. I started working on it last weekend but it turned out to be a lot harder to make than I thought.

After a few tries I finally got it put together though. This is a beautiful box but I really hope Papertrey figures out how to convert this template into an SVG file soon because it would make it a lot easier. The base of the box was made with Sweet Blush Cardstock. The inside was lined with Pretty Pastels cardstock.
I did a special stamping technique on the outside called Simple Whitewash from the August/September 2009 newsletter to give it texture. The flower brads are from Close To My Heart that I got a long time ago so I am not sure if they still make them. I was debating on adding something to the top. After giving it some thought I decided to give Lauren Meader's new Rambling Rose Cut file a try and that is how I created the rose. I was thrilled with how it came out so I added it to the top. I still felt that it was missing something though so I added a scrolled sentiment banner that I stamped with the word Mother from The Women Of Life set and distressed the edges with some Chai Tea Dye Ink.
This would be a great box to give a gift in so I added a bar of soap I received as a thank you gift awhile back from Lynn at Maple Hill Farms to show you what kinds of things this box can hold. This soap is fantastic and I would highly recommend it.

Even though it took me awhile to finish this project I am very happy with how it turned out. I hope you are too. We would love to have you play along with us for this challenge too. Just head over to the Peeps Blog and add your project. That's it for now. I hope to be back sooner this time with more things to share. Until then have a great weekend and as always thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

Ted said...

What a beautiful box, Terri! I know your mom will love this! :)

Debra said...

Goodness that rose is gorgeous, as is the box.I won't buy any of the templates until they're in SVG format.

peggysue said...

Terri, that is a beautiful box! And I am sorry to hear about your mother's health, I will pray for her recovery. I am waiting until they have the shaker boxes in svg but you've done a lovely job making it and pairing up colors.

Sue Ann said...

I hope your mom feels better soon ...... I know that it is very stressful when our parents are not well. Your box is amazing ....... I was just thinking about you today.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful project. So pretty and feminine! I hope your mom is on the mend soon, she will love this!

Sherry said...

Gorgeous box Terri!! I really want this in SVG format too. Hope your Mom is doing better.

Sharron said...

Terri, your box is beautiful. Sorry it did not go together easily. The rose is gorgeous too so you have ended up with a very lovely gift. I am glad your mother is doing better now and hope there are no further problems. Take care. HUGS!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Hi Terri, Your Shaker Box is lovely! I like the whitewashed look on it. And your rose is gorgeous! Sorry your mom has been ill. Hope she heals well soon too.

Jen Carter said...

Your box turned out great! Very pretty!

Dana said...

Oh Terri, I'm sorry to hear (read?) the news about your mom. I DO hope she is keeping her spirits up and will recover soon. The box you made her is just lovely...really and truly gorgeous. I love how you distressed it with white paint and the rose on top is amazing!

Laurie said...

It was worth the work it took right? Because it turned out so pretty! (I love .svg files too! They make life easy...and so much fun!)

Read your last comment on my blog...I used to be an angel too! Just resigned in Jan!

Barbara said...

Gorgeous!!! What a great job with that box!! I just love it and I know your mom will too! Vibes for her!

Quilter422 said...

so beautiful! i have the template, but have been afraid to start it.
hugs to you and your mom, glad she's in good spirits and hope she recovers well.

Diane Jaquay said...

The box is GORGEOUS Terri! I'm sure your Mom will love it! I LOVE your rose, I bought that template and watched the video but haven't made one yet. I'm still holding out on the shaker boxes until PTI offers them in SVG.

Jackie Pedro said...

This box is BEAUTIFUL!!! LOVE the rose on top!!

Nerina said...

This is absolutely beautiful Terri! I think your colour choices are perfect - the lining makes it so special and the rose on the lid really ties it all together! I'm so sorry to hear that your mother has been having a difficult time with her health and hope that she will soon be well again!! Thanks for extending the template challenge to all of us - it should be a FUN one!!

BethieJ said...

Terri I LOVE the box! It turned out FABULOUS!!!
I hope your mom is feeling better!
Have a GREAT day!

Rhonda said...

Terri, This is a great challenge. I'll play some. Hope life gets better soon. Sorry I missed you B-day too. Hope it was wonderful.

Cammie said...

Terri, I am sorry to learn about your mother. I know how stressful it is when our parents our not well. This shaker box is gorgeous! And that rose is beautiful. I watched Lauren's video on making the rose the other day. I will definitely purchase that file when I get SCAL.

Marinette-Scraptherapie said...

formidable, ta création est tout simplement géniale bravo à toi

Audrey said...

Gorgeous! Great work!
Audrey

Taheerah said...

This is so beautiful and pretty Terri! Your mother will love it for sure!